Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Quirky Little Oak Leaf

My February little quilt is a reproduction of an online auction quilt that I pinned from Pinterest.  I love that the center applique block seems to be an orphan - colors are not repeated in the pieced blocks.  I used Dear Jane block M-7, Junko's Rose Garden, to get started on the applique center.  I drew my own oak leaf and petal (I don't know what the tear drop shape is supposed to represent) using Gwen's drafting tips.  Those pesky inner points are the reason applique is not my forte.  It was great fun digging thru scraps to replicate the quilt!

The center applique is 7" and the hourglass blocks are 1 1/2".  The indigo strips are 1".  [finished dimensions]  The quilt will finish at 18" square.  I'm thinking indigo binding.

I found a backing fabric in my stash (only two to choose from) and eked out batting from leftovers.  The quilt sandwich is basted, but I know it won't be quilted by the end of the month.




Happy February - winter is progressing.  Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

  1. I love this! You did a great job on the applique (not my forte either) which seems to be saying "here I am!" in such a delightful way. I love that you reproduced an old quilt.

    ReplyDelete

Scrappy 'T'

I've been sewing 'a block a day' since January 1st.  My stash is limited to strips and random fabric scraps in the winter.  I...