Saturday, May 25, 2019

Square Peg, Round Hole

Hubster has been away on a fishing trip, so I've been free of schedule for a week.  Jan and I did a day trip to Shipshewana.  I picked up a Darlene Zimmerman Mini Long Hexagon template for the Temecula Summer Circles sew-along from last year.  After a couple attempts, I realized this template won't work for a square center - it requires a hexagon.  My second square was a nice convex shape, so I made a pincushion out of it.  Buttons make everything better!  In all my years sewing (a lot) I've never used a pincushion.  Guess it's time to give it a try.



I also started a cross stitch sampler from a pamphlet I picked up at a library sale last winter.



I made a trip to House of Stitches in LaPorte, IN.  I'm always thankful to see the shop is still there - they were very busy when I arrived!  I purchased 30 count hand dyed linen in the cocoa colorway for two projects and two skeins of Weeks Dye Works cotton floss - Indian Summer and Charcoal.

Stitching on this fine fabric wouldn't be possible without clip-on magnifiers - lifesaver!


My current project is 'billed' as the first printed alphabet chart attributed to Schonsperger (no first name and father and son were both printers) in the 16th century.


I feel like a kid on summer vacation!  School is back in session soon.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, looks like you are having fun! I look forward to seeing the finished projects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the fabrics you combined for your pincushion. They are so different but complement each other well. I would love to have a week on my own while in my own home. Since my husband retired those circumstances are few and far between.

    ReplyDelete

Scrappy 'T'

I've been sewing 'a block a day' since January 1st.  My stash is limited to strips and random fabric scraps in the winter.  I...