Friday, September 27, 2019

Exhibits

I recently attended a few quilt exhibits on the Eastern side of the US.  My favorite was 'The Quilts of Union County' at the Packwood House Museum in Lewisburg, PA.  All the exhibits displayed exceptional artifacts, but I'm partial to pieced quilts and the Packwood exhibit and museum tour displayed many fabulous pieced quilts.  The exhibit has been extended to October 12, so if you're traveling on I80 across PA, it's well worth a stop.


Double Nine Patch on point c. 1890 believed to be from the Blyler family.


Geese In Flight c. 1845-1850, hand pieced.


Wild Goose Chase c. 1891, pieced and quilted by hand.  Purchased from the estate of Mary I Shively.


Eight-Pointed Stars on point c. 1926.  The information states the quilt was made for Edwin by the Ladies' Aid Society of Union County.

A Piece of Her Mind exhibit at the DAR included many noteworthy objects - samplers, cards, household objects, quilted clothing and, of course, quilts.




Applique Quilt c. 1850.  I can't read the quilt provenance from my pic - sorry for the omission.

The butterfly bush is still blooming!  What beautiful contrasting colors.


I'll post about the other exhibit and my challenge quilt soon. 

2 comments:

  1. The applique 1850 quilt is fascinating. So many designs to pick out and discover. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed meeting you and Jan while fabric shopping in the Lancaster area. Hope your visit to Mary's was successful and you got to visit Verna's. Maybe we'll get to meet again if you're in Pa and I can get some raspberry ice cream!
    Sue Rynex

    ReplyDelete

Scrappy 'T'

I've been sewing 'a block a day' since January 1st.  My stash is limited to strips and random fabric scraps in the winter.  I...